The incident happened in Vijayawada when the man left the battery charging in the bedroom.
In yet another incident, a man was killed and three others injured when the battery of an electric two-wheeler exploded in their home in Andhra Pradesh on Saturday April 23. The incident happened in Vijayawada early Saturday when the man kept the battery charging in the bedroom. Shiva Kumar, his wife and their two children were burned. Hearing their cries, neighbors rushed to their aid and transferred them to a hospital, where Shiva Kumar succumbed to his injuries. His wife is said to be in critical condition.
The man is said to have bought the electric scooter on Friday. The name of the manufacturer and other details are expected. This is the second incident in the Telugu States in less than a week.
An 80-year-old man was killed and two others injured in Nizamabad district of Telangana on April 19 when the battery of an electric two-wheeler exploded. The incident occurred in a house where the battery was being charged. B Ramaswamy died in the incident while his son B Prakash and daughter Kamalamma suffered burns when they tried to save him. They were admitted to a hospital.
Police have registered a case under Section 304A (causing death by negligence) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) against Pure EV in this particular case and opened an investigation. Pure EV has issued a statement deeply regretting the incident and stating that it is cooperating with local authorities and seeking details from the user.
A series of such incidents in the country have raised concerns about battery safety. Three Pure EV scooters and electric vehicles from some other manufacturers have caught fire in separate incidents in recent months.
Read: Explained: Why electric vehicles catch fire and what you can do